This community was created to host a fan fiction and fan art exchange for the A Song of Ice and Fire fandom. All fans are welcome, though if you intend to participate you must state whether or not you are over the age of 18 so that you can be assigned accordingly.
Please note that this community is geared towards fans of George R.R. Martin's book series, not towards the HBO show. HBO's Game of Thrones characterizes many characters, relationships, and events differently than they were written in the books. This community predates the show by several years and we would like to remain a book-centric community.
- This is a fic/art exchange. This means that if you sign-up to participate you are agreeing to write a fic or draw art for someone else while another person produces art or a fic for you.
- Life happens and you may sign up in good faith only to later discover that you won't be able to finish your assignment on time. If that happens, then inform the mod as soon as possible. If you drop out less than a week before the deadline, you will not be allowed to participate in future exchanges.
- The fic you write or the art you draw must focus on one of the pairings requested in your assignment, or on one of the characters if gen is requested. Please do not make a different pairing or character that was not requested the focus of your fic or art, and please do not include the things your recipient expressly stated they did not want.
- Fics must have a minimum count of 1,000 words and be spell-checked. Use of a beta reader is highly recommended. The fic should not be part of a series; each fic should be able to stand on its own as a story. Remember that this is a gift for someone else - put as much effort into it as you would like to be put into the one you'll receive.
- For the purposes of this exchange, art is defined as traditional or digital 2-D artwork produced wholly by yourself(excluding brushes, etc, of course). Photomanips are not considered art. The artwork you submit should reflect your best effort.
- Fics should be sent as a text file with HTML tags for any special formatting such as italics. Art should be sent as a JPEG or PNG file.
- The mod reserves the right not to post your fic/art and to consider you a delinquent participant if you submit something that fails to meet the above criteria and/or violates the spirit of the exchange.
- Please try to keep the identity of the person you're writing/drawing for a secret. And keep your identity a secret too; don't reply to comments on your fic/art until after the masterlist has been posted.
Guide To Signing Up
- Provide an email account that you check regularly.
- You cannot ask for or volunteer to produce smut if you're younger than age 18.
- You may request a minimum of different three pairings and a maximum of five; you may also request gen fic about characters instead of romantic pairings. When requesting pairings or characters, please keep in mind that this is a small fandom and more obscure characters or pairings make it more difficult to match you with someone else and makes writing/drawing more difficult for the person assigned your request. You can request obscure characters and pairings, but it would be best if you also requested at least one popular character or pairing.
- The same is true of restrictions on what you're willing to write/draw. Being unwilling to write/draw certain characters or pairings is reasonable; however being willing to write/draw only a small number of obscure characters is not reasonable. Examples: not being willing to write/draw Lannisters is acceptable; being willing to write/draw only Night's Watch characters is not reasonable since there's likely to be no requests for such fic/art.
- For the things you'd like to see in your gift, list things you enjoy but don't expect them all to appear in the fic you receive. Avoid listing very specific scenarios since they hinder rather than help most writers. Also keep in mind that your request may be assigned to an artist so please include some things that would be helpful to artists.
- Think carefully when listing the things you don't want to see in your gift. In particular, please remember that if you request Character/anyone, anyone means anyone unless you specifically exclude certain characters or a certain gender.
Guide To Commenting
- It is courteous for participants to comment on the art/fic that was produced as a gift for them. If you didn't like it, you don't need to lie; however it would be polite to thank the author/artist and try to find something you did like about it. Also, you are still expected to comment on the fic/art produced for you even if you dropped out of the exchange; it is, after all, the least you can do.
- Comments by non-participants are deeply appreciated and highly encouraged.
- It is considered offensive to comment on fic/art to disparage the characters or pairings depicted. If you don't like a particular character or pairing, no one's forcing you to read/view fanworks about them. A comment of this nature will earn you a warning and if you do it a second time, you will be banned from the community.